The 7th edition of the European Development Days took place in Brussels on October 16th and 17th 2012. In this context, Countdown 2015 Europe, IPPF EN and Marie Stopes International, together with other health, SRHR and HIV/AIDS organizations, organized the high-level panel meeting “Building a social contract for health”.
This debate examined the role, strategies, actions and challenges of the EU in implementing the right to health and SRH through external actions, including by financing universal health coverage and by prioritizing access to basic health care services that poor, vulnerable and marginalized populations need the most. Panelists included:
- Indu Capoor, Director, Centre for Health Education, Training and Nutrition Awareness
- Jean-Marc Chataigner, Deputy Director General, Global Affairs, Development and Partnerships, French Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- David Evans, Director, Department of Health Systems Financing, World Health Organisation
- Rosemary Museminali, Representative to the African Union, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS
- Dr Jan Paehler, Policy Officer, Health Sector, Directorate General for Development and Cooperation – EuropeAid, European Commission
- Stefan Seebacher, Director, Health Department, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
For a good overview of the main points discussed and the interesting conclusions, please visit the high level panel meeting page on European Development Days website. Read also why the EU must use its financial and political influence to deliver universal heath coverage, according to MEP Sirpa Pietikäinen and Indu Capoor.